This course is sanctioned by the Fiber Optic Association (FOA), the largest professional society of fiber optics in the world. FOA courses offered by BDI DataLynk are recognized by The US Department of Labor.
This 2-day, Fiber To The Home Specialist course is a comprehensive program to introduce the fiber optics technician to Fiber to the Home architectures being utilized, advantages and disadvantages of each and types of components necessary to complete a FTTH fiber segment. Upon completion of this course, the student will be familiar with why FTTH is being implemented today, including technical, marketing, and financial justifications. The student will further be familiar with the technical details and attributes of specialized FTTH components such as: splitters/couplers and wavelength-division multiplexers and the requirements for cables, connectors, splices, and associated hardware. FTTH design and installation requirements will be discussed in detail. The student will be able to successfully install, test, troubleshoot, and maintain FTTH links as a result of real world, hands-on training sessions. Course fee includes all study materials and Course CD. Course sanctioned by the Fiber Optics Association (FOA).
Program prepares the student to take the Certified Fiber to the Home Specialist (CFOT/S) exam given and graded at the end of class. Student will be able to effectively and efficiently install, terminate, and test singlemode FTTH fiber optic networks.
This industry recognized certification demonstrates a thorough understanding of basic fiber optics components, installation, testing, troubleshooting, and maintenance of fiber optic networks (Inside and Outside Plant). The attending student must have successfully completed the basic, 3-day CFOT course prior to attending this “Specialist” course.
METHOD OF ASSESSING WHETHER COURSE OBJECTIVE WAS MET:
Along with class discussions/presentations and substantial hands-on activities, the FOA CFOS/H exam is given and graded at the end of the class. 70% of the questions must be answered correctly to successfully pass the exam. The exam is closed book. Students will further demonstrate the ability to build, test, and troubleshoot a simulated FTTH network. Both the hands-on exam AND the written exam must be passed to receive FOA certification.
Particular Physical Demand(s) on student:
Student should be physically able to see, identify, install, and test fiber optics connectors safely and efficiently. Students must be able to read and speak English.
Fiber Optics Technician’s Outside Plant Text Book by Jim Hayes, Supplementary Study Materials includes CD, and Student Study Guide.
Day – 1:
- Introduction to FTTx (FTTH/P, FTTC) Types of FTTx Architectures
- Designing FTTx Networks
- Installing FTTx Segments
- PON Splitters/Couplers & Associated Components
- FTTx Testing & Troubleshooting
- FTTx Fiber Optics Safety
- OSP Fiber Installation Review
- Hands-on Session Begins – Installation, Fusion Splicing, and Testing of SM FTTx Networks utilizing SC/APC Singlemode Pigtails, OSP and ISP FTTx Fiber Optics Cable and Hardware. In addition to standard tools and fiber optics test equipment, Fitel Fusion Splicers will be used throughout hands on sessions.
- Testing and certification will be accomplished using OWL OLTSs and OWL Singlemode OTDRs.
Day – 2:
- Hands-on Session Continues
- Review of OTDR & OLTS Testing Procedures
OLTS and OTDR PON Testing
- OLTS and OTDR PON Testing. (Testing and certification will be accomplished using OWL WaveTester Test Kits and Singlemode OTDRs.)
- PON Troubleshooting
- Practical Hands-on Exam: – Troubleshooting, Repair and Re-Certification of FTTx Networks. Testing and certification will be accomplished using OWL WaveTester Test Kits and Singlemode OTDRs.
- Class Discussion
- Administer and Grade Written and Hands-On CFOS/H Test